re buying a 486

Bill Pearson wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU
Sat Feb 27 14:21:01 EST 1993

In article <9302270517.AA04570 at net.bio.net> preissj at CLVAX1.CL.MSU.EDU ("J Preiss--Seq Anal") writes:
>My $0.02 on buying a computer that is reliable.
>
>1.  Buy from a big name company.  Right now, I see 2, IBM and INTEL.  If
>you get an IBM or any INTEL machine, you can be pretty sure to get help,
>parts, service, etc., for some time to come, anywhere in the world.  Also,
>you know you will have no compatibility problems with peripherals and
>software.  You cannot say the same for the up-starts like Del, Compaq,
>Compuadd, etc.

	I disagree, by the time your computer breaks, IBM won't be
interested in servicing it.  I had an IBM EGA monitor fail after about
4 years.  They no longer sold EGA monitors (nor did anyone else), they
did not repair EGA monitor (even their own brand), and no one else could
fix it because it was an IBM monitor.  If if had been an NEC or SONY,
the schematics would have been available.

>2.  Buy local.  You may save $50 or $100 by shopping mail order, but most
>machines do need warrenty service in the first year.  If you buy local, you
>can get immediate help at no cost.  If you buy mail order, you will have to
>ship out your computer by UPS.  This leaves you without a computer and costs
>money.  Probably more than the $50- you thaught you saved by going mail order.

	Disagree again.  Very few computers need warranty service in
the first year (that's why Dell can offer on-site service for free or
very cheaply.)  It is very rare for a local dealer to have a good
service department, and, if you don't live in a large city, you will
save a lot more than $50 buying a clone (more like $250 minimum).

>3.  Don't even think about wasting your money on an SX, or SLC, or a doubled
>chip.  You will regret in the long run.  You will be better off getting a
>beefed up 386DX than a whimpy 486SX, and a 486DX50 will do you better than
>a 486DX2-60 (really just a 486DX30 that runs too hot for its own good).

	Most people will not regret having a 486SX. It is certainly
more capable (speed, cache) than a 386DX as I understand it.  Just no
floating point (like a 386).

	Bill Pearson