Protein Structure Prediction mailserver

omond at embl-heidelberg.de omond at embl-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 4 09:25:45 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan2.173434.1 at vax.path.ox.ac.uk>, jasper at vax.path.ox.ac.uk writes:

> 	I haven't *seen* this posted anywhere yet (apologies if it has been,
> I have that sneaking suspicion we are losing some articles through the feed)
> but the information is tucked away in Nature, so I think it needs advertising!
>
> ****  PHD - a new mail server for protein secondary structure prediction  ***
>
> The return times are reasonably fast, but maybe that's because I'm testing it
> in the vacation? Overall round trip time for a 200 amino acid domain is about
> 30 minutes. Of course this could get a lot slower if everyone tries it at
> once!

Jasper, sorry to revert to posting to the net, but ... you might be pleasantly
surprised to get a faster turnround if you configure your machine
vax.path.ox.ac.uk to actually ACCEPT e-mail connections.  We've got lots
of stuff in our mail queue for you guys, and your machine constantly rejects
SMTP connection request from us.  Actually this seems to be a common "feature"
of sites in Oxford, since it happens pretty regularly.  What mailer software
are you running ?

Regards,

Roy Omond
System Manager/PostMaster etc. etc.