This is a question to bionet.software, commercial issue.

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Thu Jan 7 02:22:33 EST 1993

With respect to the discussion going on about Maspar's posting on
the nicety of the BLAZE program, I would like to ask whether companies
like GCG woudln't have the same rights? They've been public domain for
a bit longer than BLAZE, and still each time I inquired about a
bionet.software.gcg newsgroup I was told by Dake K. that this is not an
issue (sorry that I don't quote the mail here, the last was already some
time back and I deleted them.) Despite the full appreciation of the
beauty and beneficious nature of BIONET I start to worry whether there
isn't some bias coming in in interpreting the rules. There are hundreds
of postings in comp.sys which permanently reflect commercial issues.
So why not have the policy adopted for BIONET also? In USENET terminology,
BIONET still does behave a little different (just remember voting, email gw
etc), but wouldn't it be time to revise this fear of being commercial and
afterwards filter (other would call it censor) at the justice of
administrators?

Regards
Reinhard

--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+