This is a question to bionet.software, commercial issue.

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Jan 7 20:13:52 EST 1993

kristoff at net.bio.net (David Kristofferson) writes:
>BIOSCI/bionet is funded by NSF. When I get an instruction from my
>funding agency I attempt to carry it out. I place a call to Steve
>Wolff this morning and, as usual, had to leave a message because he is
>on the road until next Monday. I will also send him e-mail once
>again.
>
>What most of you who don't deal with these issues on a daily basis
>don't realize is that there appears to be a great reluctance for
>decisions to actually be finalized in this area for several reasons.
>Debates in Washington on these issues have dragged on for a long time
>and the rules are still being drafted. Because of the fact that many
>different networks with conflicting restrictions are all
>interconnected now, the regulations are a ruddy mess and all kinds of
>conflicting events happen. I am no happier about it than anyone else
>and frankly far less so than others because I am put in a position to
>defend what I think is a bad policy.

The included message below indicates that NSFnet (and thus the
Internet, most all of us use the NSFnet because it is the backbone)
will go commercial within a few years. At one point below 15 months
is stated as the goal for having the commericalization design
formulated. I would guess that with big business now running part of
the NSFnet services that commerical use of "the network" in general
will increase.

Mike Cherry