Computerized lab notebook?

Minghsun Liu lmh at theory.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Jan 10 05:47:05 EST 1993

Hello All!

A few weeks ago I was having a discussion with a friend who
just bought a computer to be used in his research.  (Typical
applications such as keeping track of bacterial strains and making
presentations for the lab meetings only.)  And I mentioned that with
the advent and gaining popularity of notebook-sized portable
computers,  (I am not sure what the situation is in places outside of
Boston but I have seen people WORKING with their Mac PowerBook in
subway trains more than once!)

I mentioned that I wondered if working biologists were ready to trade in their
trusty lab notebooks for computer software that could replace it.  Yes,
I know I probably haven't even fully appreciated the kind of diverse
needs that different people want in their computerized lab notebook.
I am just wondering if there exist a kind of "philosophical" or
"emotional" attachment to a regular lab notebook.  Better yet, is
anyone out there actually using such a software?

Any comments would be appreciated!

- Minghsun Liu
  lmh at medg.lcs.mit.edu
  lmh at genome.wi.mit.edu