Computerized Lab Notebooks

mrl775 at tigger.jvnc.net mrl775 at tigger.jvnc.net
Mon Jan 11 23:57:59 EST 1993

In article <C0nMB2.IDG at news2.cis.umn.edu> ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu (Ernest
Retzel (1535 49118)) writes:
>A big part of my work life centers around my work computer; I, for one, keep
>trying to get an ISDN experiment running to my home...I want that data, and
>I don't want a copy of it to carry.  And I hate paper!
>
>my 0.02.

Just to add to the discussion... not so much about lab notebooks on computer,
but on notebook computers....

I run my internet connection off of my powerbook 170 (with a powerport gold
tied into the JvNC net SLIP server), and do a lot of my work there.  I also tie
into the office, using appletalk remote access, again on powerports.  By
running Timbuktu on the pb170 and my fx in the office, I can get to anything I
need from the home or the road.  I also run the filesharing stuff of system 7,
if I just need to grab a file.  To keep the sync problems down, I confine most
of my work to specific tasks, some on the pb, some on the fx (and a bunch on
the indigo, but thats a different story).

So, the key is, you don't need ISDN running to the house, unless you need LOTS
of data flowing.  I find ARA and my set up to suit me fine.

In the future, things like the notebook sparc 2, a notebook with 24 spec marks
and 250-500 MB of disk, will make notebook computing almost like desktop
computing, and you won't need that desktop (or deskside) machine to go with it.

any, had to add my $0.02...

Keith