mol bio/? & opinions

Jeremy John Ahouse ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:53:36 EST 1993

	We are evaluating DNAstar and GeneWorks on the mac.  I am frustrated in
lots of little ways by both program suites.  Are there others that we
should be
evaluating?  Really I want to be able to edit sequences, search them for
restriction sites, do pairwise and multiple alignments and then export
them
easily to PAUP and MacClade.

Is this so much to ask?

Now a bit of a flame.  Why are these software programs that cost 1000's of
clams not as tight or slick or easy to use as truly nicely done packages
like
PAUP and MacClade?  Aren't these folks just a wee bit embarassed?

In any case please do let me know if you are using a package that you
find easy
to manipulate.

	Thank you,

	        Jeremy Ahouse

        	Center for Complex Systems and Biology Dept
        	Brandeis University
        	Waltham, MA 02254-9110

        	(617) 736-4954
        	email: ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu