Confidential Data and Network Servers

Dan Davison Davison at UH.EDU
Sat Jan 16 00:48:00 EST 1993

>>> A question has recently come up around here, about the use of
>>> network servers (like the blast and blocks servers) with
>>> confidential (and presumably patentable) sequence data.  If you
>>> are sending such a sequence out to these servers, how likely is it
>>> that the data can be compromised, and are there any ways of
>>> protecting these types of data?

The UH Gene-Server, and an upcoming server, contain discontinuous
logs.  There is a time/date/address stamp when a request comes in, a
time/date/size/address stamp when a result goes out, and a separate
log of containing jus the requests (that is processed for traffic
analysis).  Since an incoming request can contain more than one
command, after a while (i.e. now) there is no sequencing traceable
between the request log and the timestamps. The only requests that are
seen are those which caused problems for the processing software, and
even those have to be turned on by hand.  So the tracing of a
particular request to a particular output via a particular e-mail
message is difficult.

A future server related to the Gene-Server has more severe
confidentiality problems and we are working on ways to make sure that
no one, at any point can see the data (except the brief time as the
incoming command files are parsed).

dan
gene-server manager

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU