On the feasibility of portable software standards (RE: SRS...)

Reinhard Doelz doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Mon Jan 18 02:39:00 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan17.102302.64278 at embl-heidelberg.de>, omond at embl-heidelberg.de writes:
|> In article <AJB.93Jan15122435 at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk>, ajb at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk (Alan Bleasby) writes:
|> > Obvious question: When is the UNIX version going to be available. You
|> 	When is the POSIX version going to be available ?

The fact is that some operating systems don't even know what a prototype is.
Either we write software which runs on any virtual machine or we commit
ourselves to standards and ifdef the various flavours into it. I fully agree
that one **X variant wouldn't be enough, but I have not succeeded to get
one uniform development environment on all platforms we support. Therefore,
an obvious start is to do the development on one box and permanently cross-
check the validity on the others.

I can see the major advantages of POSIX to be in signal, file name and I/O
handling. Some other features, e.g., memory mapping, are rudimentary
implemented on **X operating systems. Vice versa, try to read a cursor key
in VMS curses.... There are lots of little oddities which make life difficult.
Ask Thure or Lukas about it :-)

Regards
Reinhard
--
|    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            | RFC     doelz at urz.unibas.ch         |
|   Klingelbergstrasse 70          | FAX     x41 61 261- 6760 or 267- 2078
|     CH 4056 Basel                | TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247    |
+------------- bioftp.unibas.ch is the SWISS EMBnet node ----------------+