mac/NFS

Allen Delaney allen at sparc.brc.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 18 16:05:43 EST 1993

We use NFS/Share, from intercon, and AUFS, a part of the CAP (Columbia
Appletalk Package).

NFS/Share is reasonably priced (~$100 / node educational) and  gives good
performance. I liked the elegance of using NFS, since the server side would
be guaranteed to be robust, and the client side would allow use of the
Macintosh speed, instead of a slow/expensive gateways such as Cayman
GatorBoxen. No technical expertise on the UNIX side and little on the Mac
side is required.

BUT, we had a number of problems on specific systems which made it unuseable
for SOME of our machines. We went to AUFS for those machines and are currently
quite pleased with it.

AUFS consists of server software running on a UNIX workstation, communicating
directly with AppleShare on the mac via Ethernet or a gateway and Localtalk.

We obtained our CAP distribution from rutgers.edu (128.6.21.9), but I am
sure it is available at many other sites.

With AUFS, no technical expertise is necessary on the Mac side, but a
significant level is required on the UNIX side.

--
Allen Delaney (allen at brc.ubc.ca)
Biomedical Research Centre, U.B.C., Vancouver, B.C. Canada, V6T 1Z3