ARCHIE and Gopher

Rob Harper harper at
Tue Jan 26 03:21:05 EST 1993

In <1993Jan25.160416.17288 at> kramer at (Jack Kramer) writes:

>Is there any way to do an ARCHIE type search to locate things while
>connected to a Gopher hole?

It is possible. I have the following link in our gopher at CSC.

Name=The Ultimate Bionaut software search (ARCHIE)

which opens up a telnet session to the Finnish Archie. I would suggest
that you choose an archie closer to home if you want to do searches...
and really telnet sessions ARE NOT the best possible way to interact
with Archie... get yourself a client.

If you are only interested in molbio software then you might be interested
in the following options... which are a collection of links I have put
together... other people have done work (Dan Jacobson, Don gilbert, Dave
Kristofferson), I only make the links. For example Dan earlier posting about
macmimic can be found from the software searches.

                     Wais sources for the Biologist

 -->  1.  Agriculture/
      2.  Journal TOC search <?>
      3.  Materials & Methods search <?>
      4.  Prosite protein database search <?>
      5.  Search Usenet News "sci"-groups (UK) <?>
      6.  Search for Software at EMBL (Mac, Dos, Unix, Vax)/
      7.  Search for Software at Indiana - IUBio (Mac, Dos, Unix, Vax)/
      8.  Search the Biosci/Bionet newsgroups (USA) <?>
      9.  Search the INFO-GCG mailing list (FINLAND) <?>
      10. Search the Protein Data Bank (USA) <?>
      11. Search the WAIS directory of servers (USA) <?>

Rob "knowing where to look is as important as knowing what to look for" Harper

 ~ Rob Harper                    ~ E-mail:          harper at
 ~ Finnish State Computer Centre ~ Molbio/software: harper at
 ~ P.O. Box 40                   ~ Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
 ~ SF-02101 Espoo Finland        ~ Fax:             +358 0 457 2302