slides/poster drawing software

Richard Hoffmann rjhoffma at iastate.edu
Wed Jul 14 08:09:15 EST 1993

In article <9307131753.AA04003 at kona.cc.mcgill.ca> IVAN at MNI.lan.mcgill.ca writes:
>> In a previous article, GRGGTA at PATERSON.CHRISTIE-HOSPITAL.MANCHESTER.AC.UK () says:
>>

>> >Dear All,
>> >We are about to update our ancient 'GEM' graphics drawing software (circa
>> >1987) for something better. We use this software for molecular biology-
>> >oriented slides, posters, thesis illustrations etc. It includes graph
>> >presentation and drawing applications.

>The thing is that you're doing several graphics tasks which none of
>them can all cover adequately.

[commentary on specific programs deleted]

>Unfortunately, you may have to wind up buying two packages to cover
>all your needs; do you have an educational pricing system or will
>they allow you to increase your budget? (70 MB isn't enough)

I agree on the need for two programs.  I use SlideWrite Plus for
Windows to make graphs.  It is better oriented to scientific needs
than a spreadsheet.  For illustrations and for customizing SlideWrite
Plus graphs to make color slides, I use Aldus FreeHand.  It has much
more flexible drawing capabilities.  This combination works well,
although I can't say whether it's the "best."  I looked at Lotus
Freelance Graphics for Windows in an earlier version.  It was easy to
use, but it lacked the flexibility of FreeHand.

Dick Hoffmann
Richard J. Hoffmann                Internet: rjhoffma at iastate.edu
Department of Zoology & Genetics     Bitnet: rjhoffma%iastate.edu at isumvs
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011                      Voice: (515) 294-8075