Brookhaven files

Cornelius Krasel zxmkr08 at
Fri Jul 16 09:43:05 EST 1993

In <2394 at> dacoo at (Coornaert D.) writes:

>	Does anyone know if a freeware soft exist for viewing brookhaven
>coordinates atomic files ??

It depends on the platform (that is, the computer) you want to use.

There are quite a few free packages which will allow you to look
at PDB files on a UNIX workstation. I can think of rasmol and
xmol, both of which are running here on an IRIS (don't know
which flavour).

The thing is a bit more difficult for Macs / PCs. There is a
fine package called Kinemage out there, but its drawback is
that it cannot read PDB files directly, you have to convert
them first. Kinemage is also free. I am not aware of any other
PDB viewers for Macs / PCs.

>	Also, what is .GIF file, a static image ? or something you can turn
>around ?

GIF files contain just pixel pictures, compressed in a special way.
The GIF format is copyrighted by Compuserve, as far as I know.

>	Where can be found the nrl_3D data files and how to visualize them

NRL_3D doesn't contain coordinates; it's just a sequence database
of the proteins whose structures have been determined.

Hope that helps, Cornelius.
/* Cornelius Krasel, Department of Physiological Chemistry, U Tuebingen    */
/* email: krasel at (until Sept 1st)            */
/*        krasel at                                */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (R. Dawkins / anonymous)     */