Keeping lab oligo database

Dan Jacobson danj at welchdev.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Jul 21 09:39:50 EST 1993

In article <altman-200793174850 at b219-mac2.stanford.edu> altman at cmgm.stanford.edu (John Altman) writes:
>We are a "Mac" lab looking for a way to keep track of the oligos
>synthesized in our lab.  I probably just need a FileMaker template
>or something like that (I haven't used FileMaker much).  Does
>anyone have such a beast?  Are any currently available by ftp
>from the usual sites?  How about HyperCard Stacks?

A gopher search of Seqanalref (on merlot.welch.jhu.edu)  finds the following
entry which may be of interest.

----------

ID   USDK9201
RM   92274208
RA   Usdin K.;
RT   "Hypercard-based data management tools for molecular biologists.";
RL   Comput. Appl. Biosci. 8:107-111(1992).
KW   NUCLEIC ACID; CLONE MANAGEMENT; DATA ENTRY; APPLE MACINTOSH.

I  have   designed  a   Macintosh  data  management  system  for  molecular
biologists.  This   system,  called   DataMinder,  can  be  used  to  store
information about  oligonucleotides, nucleic  acid  or  protein  sequences,
recombinant DNA  clones, cells,  reagents and  protocols. DataMinder is not
limited to  data storage.  A number  of utilities  for  data  analysis  are
provided, including those for the evaluation of oligonucleotides for use as
hybridization probes  or primers  for  DNA  synthesis,  and  a  variety  of
sequence editing  features. Context-sensitive  help is  available  on-line.
DataMinder is  simple to  use and  to customize  and allows  for sharing of
database information across a computer network.

----------

You can retrieve DataMinder a number of ways - one would be to
point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select:

 -->  13. Search Databases at Hopkins (Vectors, Promoters, NRL-3D, EST, OMIM../

   -->  4.  Search BOING (Bio Oriented INternet Gophers) <?>

and search for:

dataminder*

then you can just retrieve the resulting dataminder.hqx file.

Another method would be anonymous ftp to sunbcd.weizmann.ac.il
in the /pub/software/mac directory.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu