request for assistance

Hugh Ross CHR at OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri Jul 23 15:01:31 EST 1993

Greetings. I'm a non-expert in this area trying to help someone who
doesn't have network access at the moment.

She is scanning in hand-drawn pictures of (I think) top views of human
brains, using a Macintosh scanner. The pictures end up being composed
of about 50 grey blobs separated by white space.

What she needs to do is find the total surface area of the blobs. She
would also like to do some editing of the scanned images.

What I would like to know:

  - Is there any software available for computing surface areas of
    irregular shapes like this? (Preferably Macintosh software.)

  - If so, where can I get it? Is it available via ftp, or is it
    commercial software?

  - Where would be a good place to ask about this, other than this list?

If you can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please email responses
TO ME, NOT TO THIS LIST because I am not subscribed to the list. Send

Hugh Ross
Academic Computing Intern
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH USA