Lucas et.al. primer software

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 30 18:51:31 EST 1993

I have received several requests for info on primer software by
Lucas et.al. (designed for use in MS-DOS based PCs).

Here's abstract on that publication;

TI: An improved microcomputer program for finding gene- or gene family-
specific oligonucleotides suitable as primers for polymerase chain reactions
or as probes.
AU: Lucas-K; Busch-M; Mossinger-S; Thompson-JA
AD: Institut fur Immunbiologie, Universitat Freiburg, FRG.
SO: Comput-Appl-Biosci. 1991 Oct; 7(4): 525-9
ISSN: 0266-7061
PY: 1991
LA: ENGLISH
CP: ENGLAND
AB: We present here an easy-to-use computer program which finds
oligonucleotides suitable as primers in polymerase chain reactions (PCR) or
as probes for hybridization. In contrast to other programs used for this
purpose, the additional advantage of this one is the possibility of directly
detecting gene- as well as gene family-specific oligonucleotides. For this
purpose, up to 200 different DNA sequences, of maximally 65,000 nucleotides
each, can be scanned in a single search to ensure either single or multiple
gene binding of the PCR primers or probes. Specific oligonucleotides for genes
carrying internal repetitions and for single genes belonging to a set of
highly conserved genes can also be detected. Many parameters such as
exclusion of simple sequences, which are known to be highly repeated
throughout various genomes or regions of stable secondary structures in both
primer-primer and primer-template, can be taken into consideration and
avoided. Furthermore, the G + C content and the length of the
oligonucleotides can be changed in a broad range by the user.

Many THANKS to Christoph Gartmann for sharing his time to obtain following
information on 2 of the authors;

 the address of J.A. Thompson is
  Institut fuer Immunbiologie
  der Universitaet
  Stefan-Meier-Strasse 8
D-79104  Freiburg
 +49-761-203-4023

But Dr. Thompson is in holiday for the next three or four weeks.

And I got the address of one of the other authors (it's a private one):
  Kurt Lucas
  Haydnstrasse 26
D-22761  Hamburg
 +49-40-8901447

| Christoph Gartmann            Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221      |
| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN   |
|  Immunbiologie                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de         |
| Postach 1169                                                              |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                    |
+------------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for VMS? ------------+

regards,
Andre Hamel                                 email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services                lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
Infectious & Genetic Disease                     FAX: (204) 945-8062
Mol.Biol.Lab., Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA