X on the PC - Summary of responses

DOROTHY LOWRY DLOWRY at CMU.UNIGE.CH
Fri Jun 4 06:39:39 EST 1993

SUMMARY OF X (WINDOWS) FOR THE PC
-------------------------------

A while ago (May 1993) I posted a message to bionet.software asking
"So how do you let the SUN know that you are running X-windows"; it
was basically a 2-part question - the first part dealt with what
kind of software you can run on your PC to make it an X client.
The second part dealt with how, once you have X running on your
local computer, to tell a remote computer that you are running X
so that you can use X on the remote.

I received a TON of help, and, am looking forward to implementing it.  I
am embarrased to admit that I haven't had time to play with X yet but I
have had some mail from other people who wanted to know what I'd found out.
Therefore, I am summarizing all the responses I got (for my reference and
yours) and I hope that I managed to find all the responses (please excuse
me if you posted something/sent me something and I neglected to include it).
Again, to everyone who responded, THANK YOU!

I'm going to divide this summary into 3 parts:

   1] An introduction to X - from Lyle Wiedeman
   2] How to make the SUN (or whatever) know that you are running X.
   3] X client programs for the PC - where to get them and some comments.

As for me, I think I'm going to try out LINUX for myself and see if I can
get it to work with everything we've got (PC/TCP, Novell and an insistence
on running MS-Windows) and I might investigate DesQView/X since it is
supposed to run both Windows and DOS already and I am not sure that Linux
runs Windows.

Regards, Dorothy
  Dorothy Lowry	- Graduate Student			dlowry at cmu.unige.ch
  Dept. of Medical Biochemistry