X on the PC - Summary of responses

John-Marc Chandonia chandoni at husc8.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 5 12:33:31 EST 1993

In article <1univdINNp39 at crcnis1.unl.edu>, price at cse.unl.edu (Chad Price) writes:
> Under OS/2, IBM has produced TCP/IP for OS/2 which includes (at minor extra
> cost) an NFS module, and an X-Server called PMX. I use PMX and am quite happy
> with it.
>
> OS/2 with TCP/IP and Netware requestor for OS/2 provides all of the
> connectivity I could possibly want, including allowing my PC to become an
> Internet node in its own right - send/receive mail directly, FTP to and from
> the OS/2 machine, mount drives from remote systems, telnet directly from hte
> OS/2 prompt and still run DOS programs simultaneously.  Highly recommended!

I second this recommendation!  Actually, you don't need the Netware
requestor to do TCP/IP; it works over ethernet or slip also.
There is also freely available, PM-based, gopher client and
server software.  IBM is supposedly working on an upgrade to their
TCP/IP package that includes a very nice PM-based newsreader also.

JMC
--
chandoni at husc8.harvard.edu    | I will not yell fire in a crowded classroom
John-Marc Chandonia           | I will not yell fire in a crowded classroom