Actually Hardware breakdown of Mac SE

Dana S Emery de19 at umail.umd.edu
Sat Jun 5 23:33:01 EST 1993

In article <gibbs.739215879 at husc.harvard.edu>, gibbs at husc4.harvard.edu
(James Gibbs) wrote:

> Apple had a problem with some HD20s made by Sony. It sounds clearly to me
> by your description that this is the problem. I had the same problem. At
> one point, Apple was replacing HD20s with HD40s for free.

I saved the following posting from comp.sys.mac.hardware.
Thanks to peter for his repost of it.
Thanks to werner for the orignal posting.

************************** start of repost
**********************************
I saved the following from the net some time ago.

Hope this helps, Peter
--
Peter Orban
National Research Council of Canada
Internet: orban at nrcamt.ime.nrc.ca

*************************** start of enclosed message
***********************

	[ After MODE32, this is another gutsy move in which Apple tries
	  to "come clean" from a problem (most certainly) not anticipated,
	  and most definitely prevented, had the right people had any
	  inkling of it.  But in the eyes of many hardware-literate
	  people I know, the hard disks problem was known to exist, and
	  reason not to purchase, LONG before Apple started to show
	  signs of recognizing/admitting to it.

		To summarize what I understand the 2 service notes
		(sent out to guide Apple's certified techs) to say:

	  Effective until Aug 15, 1993, a customer receives a free
	  replacement 40meg drive if he has a 20meg or 40meg drive
	  which displays "stiction" failure symptoms (in SE, SE-30,
	  IIx, IIcs, IIci or IIfx) and the drive is either less than
	  4 years old *OR* is Model Number SRD2040.  This could be
	  either the drive which came installed in the Mac or a
	  later add-on or replacement drive)

	  Customers who had their HD replaced at a Certified Apple
	  dealer before Aug 16, 1991 OUT OF WARRANTY (and thus paid
	  for the replacement) can obtain reimbursement by submitting
	  a claim to Apple by Feb 29, 1992.  [ But I know of no hardware-
	  literate Mac-owner experiencing this problem, who was willing
	  to replace one BAD drive, with another (overpriced) one from
	  the same company ...;-)  I think the underlying assumption
	  here also is, that any Apple Certified Tech doing repairs
	  after Aug 16 would not have charged any customer for repairs
	  qualifying to be done at no cost to the customer - but I wonder...]

	Symptoms which qualify under this program are:

	1) STICTION	[indicated by the drive failing to spin up after
			 having been powered down]

	2) HEAD CRASHES	[indicated by a scraping noise (metallic, getting
			 louder over time) at spinup]

	In the first notice, SOFT ERRORS are also mentioned (noticeable
	by the disk going in and out of seek mode) but the second
	'clarification notice' states that this is no longer a symptom
	"acceptable to qualify, since soft errors cannot (usually)
	be detected by customers, since, in general, soft errors are not
	detectable.  but a customer CAN detect a head crash" (which,
	eventually, WILL result).  Personally, I consider this a bit of
	a cop-out, as I have seen drives that, before dying, seem to get
	stuck in seek mode with increasing frequency, and when copying
	large number of files on or off the disk from the Finder, with
	increasing frequency "file corruption" causes the copy to fail.
	This diminishes the use of the drive (when not trusted, one
	avoids using it, when alternatives are present), more frequent
	(but less trusted) back-ups (hopefully, at least ;-)...
	...so what everyone (both Apple and customers) really need is
	a WIDELY AVAILABLE DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM!!!

	while there may be no reliable way for most user to recognize
	soft errors, one would think that a diagnostic program run
	overnight should be able to log soft-errors (and I think some
	third-party disk formatters actually are capable of doing
	exactly that).  I've seen drives dying slowly and suddenly,
	die completely or come back to life for many additional months
	only to die again... (I've had drives which repeatedly came back
	to life when taken on the bouncy ride to the shop ...)...
	Are users expected to bet their work and data on flaky drives,
	simply because they are not completely dead yet?!?  I am quite
	sure that the hardware engineer who wrote up the "trouble
	symptoms" initially, thought he would be able to recognize
	soft errors when present, so why not the Apple Tech (or a
	hardware diagnostic program which SHOULD be part of the
	software package delivered to EVERY user with EVERY Mac in
	the first place ?!?)

	Well, that was my reaction and related opinions, anyway,
	mine, all mine.

	I enclose the original notes from Apple below both as reference
	and to be fair.  please form your own opinion.

	Do I sound unhappy?!?  Well, the best deserves most being
	improved still...

							---Werner
	]

			     ---------------

      SERVICE NOTICE: 20MB/40MB HARD DRIVE REPAIR EXTENSION PROGRAM

		   ( Copyright 1991, Apple Computer Inc.)

				 OVERVIEW

We have discovered that a certain batch of half-height internal 3.5" 20MB
and
40MB hard drives and some external 3.5" 20MB and 40MB drives may have been
subjected to disk media contamination. These drives may experience a number
of
different symptoms, as fully described later on in this notice. To address
this
problem, Apple is offering a 20MB/40MB Hard Drive Repair Extension Program
for
customers and Service Providers with drives manufactured four years ago or
later that meet all the criteria below. A new drive, P/N 661-1629, has been
substituted for the problem drives.

		     DRIVE IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION

		    * Definition of 20MB/40MB Symptoms

  * Stiction problems: Platter does not spin up after drive has been
powered
    down for period of time.
  * Head crashes: Drive may or may not mount, and data may be corrupted.
  * Soft errors: Disk continually goes in and out of seek mode.

			* Model and Serial Number

The affected 20MB and 40MB drives were manufactured in Macintosh( SE,
Macintosh
SE/30, Macintosh II, Macintosh IIx, Macintosh IIcx/IIci, and Macintosh IIfx
computers. The problem also affects some external 3.5" 20MB and 40MB
configurations. Additionally, these drives were used as Service repair
modules
under P/N 661-0612 (20MB) and P/N 661-0464 (40MB). Because of the problem,
all
new and existing orders for 20MB drives (P/N 661-0612) will automatically
receive a 40MB drive (P/N 661-1629).

If you have any questions regarding qualification of a failed 20MB or 40MB
drive, contact Technical Operations for further clarification.

		  * How To Identify Affected 40MB Drives

  1) Symptoms of affected drives (one or more of the following):
     * Stiction problems
     * Head crashes
     * Soft errors
  2) Serial number indicating the drive is less than four years old. See
the
     chart below for qualifying dates and serial numbers.
  3) Model number: SRD2040

		  * How To Identify Affected 20MB Drives

  1) Symptoms of affected drives (one or more of the following):
     * Stiction problems
     * Head crashes
     * Soft errors
  2) Model number: SRD2020 (Note: All drives with this model number are
     eligible throughout the life of this program. Serial number matching
is
     not required.)

		   RETURNING AND REPLACING HARD DRIVES

			    * Customer Repair

  The program covers free replacement of a customerUs qualified failed 20MB
  (P/N 661-0612) or 40MB (P/N 661-0464) hard drive until August 15, 1993.
In
  return, the customer will receive a 40MB hard drive (P/N 661-1629).

		 Guidelines for Submitting Repair Claims

  Use the following guidelines for determining how to fill out the Warranty
  information area of an Apple Authorized Transaction Form when