Denaturing Gradient Gel Software

Jim Gerlach GERLACHJ at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Fri Jun 11 12:44:32 EST 1993

In article <jasons-110693145740 at hugo.medgen.uu.se> jasons at bmc.uu.se (jason e. stewart) writes:
>From: jasons at bmc.uu.se (jason e. stewart)
>Subject: Denaturing Gradient Gel Software
>Date: 11 Jun 93 14:02:28 GMT
>Howdy Folks,
>
>I am going to be doing some work with Denaturing Gradient Gel
>Electrophoresis in the future, and found a reference from '87 in vol 155 of
>Methods in Enzymology that talked about a number of different software
>programs for predicting melting domains of DNA when using DGGE. It was by
>Lerman and Silverman from M.I.T and Memphis State, respectively. The
>programs were called MELT, TRAVEL, and SQHTX. I've been zipping around
>gopher space and all ftp sites I know to find ANY program dealing with
>these phenomena, and I couldn't find anything.
>
>Does anybody know of how to get in touch with the authors (I suppose there
>is always s-mail) or where I could get ahold of such programs?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jason

>Jason E Stewart                    Father-at-Large
>Dept of Med Gen                    jasons at bmc.uu.se
>BMC, Box 589                       Tel: 46 18 174910
>751 23 Uppsala                     Fax: 46 18 526849
>Sweden

We obtained the programs from Dr. Leonard S. Lerman directly. This is
probably the best approach as the software is continually evolving. The
person who actually sent us the software was:

	William Fripp
	Scientific Systems Programmer
	Massachusetts Institute of Technology
	77 Massachusetts Avenue
	Cambridge, MA  02139-4307
	(617)258-8779

The programs work as promised but are not especially "user friendly".

Cheers,
Jim
---
Jim Gerlach - Cancer Research Laboratories
James.H.Gerlach at QueensU.CA                    Queen's University
GERLACHJ at QUCDN.QueensU.CA (NetNorth/BITNET)   Room A309A, Botterell Hall
tel (613) 545-6446                            Kingston, Ontario
fax (613) 545-6830                            CANADA  K7L 3N6