Compiling entrez-2d on SGI

Daping Tan dtan at CANSND.CISTI.NRC.CA
Sat Jun 12 08:53:10 EST 1993

I followed the suggestion of a friendly netter, and replaced
/usr/5lib/libcurses.a with /usr/lib/libcurses.a in the Makefile.
The binary code was generated. At run time the menu was displayed,
but when I selected a menu option by hiting the "Enter" key I still
got segmentation fault (core dumped).

Daping
National Research Council Canada
dtan at cansnd.cisti.nrc.ca
. . .
I had some difficulties in compiling entrez-2d on our SGI server.

I made the following  modifications to the entrez-2d package.

        - Changed all gcc to cc in  Makefile(s).
        - Changed all the ranlib to touch in the Makefile(s).
        - Removed "void" from line 228 in main.c.
        - Put ", TRUE" in line 313 in main.c.

But the final linking failed because a file called /usr/5lib/libcurses.a
could not be found.

As an experiment I removed this file from the list, and got
the executable code generated. When I ran it, the menu appeared
and I could move the cursor around. But when I hit "Enter" to select,
I got "core dumped"

I've sent a request to the original author, but haven't receive
the response yet.

Any help or suggestions are warmly welcom.

Thanks,
. . .