Educational software for macs or PC's?

Jeremy John Ahouse ahouse at
Mon Jun 21 09:14:48 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun21.060024.5730 at>,
djsaul at (Dave Saul) wrote:
> We are trying to acquire educational software, preferably for Mac's but
> PC packages are ok as second choice.
>for simulation software or
>educational packages that can be used for classes of undergraduate

   We had good luck in a biomath course using Stella and then Extend.
These programs both allow writing simulations in a farily protected
environment.  Stella is easier to use but you really have to want to solve
the kinds of problems it is designed for (discretized versions of
differential equations - this covers a lot of ground).  Stella can do all
of the basic population dynamics.  Extend has a C-like scripting language,
the interface isn't as well ironed out, but it is much more general.

			If you will be doing algebra and curve plotting take a look at Theorist.
 If you need to write simple programs look at the easy to use (and free)
AxoCalc (an intepreted C, Pascal, Fortran, Basic - you choose environment).

		- Jeremy

        Jeremy John Ahouse
        Center for Complex Systems and Biology Dept
        Brandeis University
        Waltham, MA 02254-9110
        (617) 736-4954
        email: ahouse at