what is a Biogopher?

Littlejohn Tim little at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jun 21 16:18:04 EST 1993

usdpd at emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (David Dykes) writes:

>	-What is Bio-gopher? (ie is it just a gopher hole, a group of gopher
>	 holes, a different gopher client etc.)  The FAQ never provides a definition
>	 of "Bio-gopher."

A Bio-Gopher is simply a Gopher-hole primarily (but not exclusively)
dedicated to housing of biological information.

They often have themes (e.g. an "organismal" theme, including Arabidopsis,
Chlamydomonas or even "supra-organism" themes such as organellar [e.g.
mitochondria] information), although some have a more broader purpose (such
as the IUBio Archive [an archive of biology data and software] or the
Computational Biology Gopher [which covers a huge number of documents
pertaining to Computational Biology as well as many other other
types of services and information]).

>	-How do I connect to this BOING?

BOING belongs to the Computational Biology Gopher at Johns Hopkins University
(thanks to Dan Jacobson again).  To access it, point your gopher client at:

Name=Computational Biology (Johns Hopkins University)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/
Host=merlot.welch.jhu.edu

and select:

 -->  2.  Search the Titles of All Items in this Gopher Hole <?>

and search with the term BOING thus:

 +-------------Search the Titles of All Items in this Gopher Hole-------------+
 | Words to search for  BOING                                                 |
 |                                       [Cancel ^G] [Accept - Enter]         |

Press enter and there you are!

 -->  1.  Search BOING (Bio Oriented INternet Gophers) <?>

If you want any other information, please just drop me an email...

Tim

E-mail:     little at ere.umontreal.ca         Tim Littlejohn
            tim at bch.umontreal.ca

Snail Mail: Departement de biochimie        Phone: (514) 343-7936
            Universite de Montreal          Fax:   (514) 343-2210
            C.P. 6128, succursale A,
            Montreal (Quebec), H3C 3J7
            CANADA