RNA folders

Cornelius Krasel zxmkr08 at studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Jun 23 11:09:31 EST 1993

In <C91qH5.G8G at news2.cis.umn.edu> allen at molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Allen Bartman) writes:

>Could anyone tell me where there are some good RNA folding programs.  I am
>currently using the GCG package.  Is this the best that I could do?  I
>would like something that I could run off of a mac if possible.

There is a port of the old rnafold program by Zuker for Macs.
Unfortunately, this takes a long time to run (at least on our
Mac IIcx, you will be better off if you have a Quadra :-) and
produces only one structure (the one with the lowest energy).
The new MFOLD program in the GCG package can also calculate
suboptimal structures.

There is also a RNA secondary structure editor for the Mac
(one of the finest pieces of software I've ever seen), called
loopDloop, written by Don Gilbert. loopDloop understands the
output files of the old FOLD program; I am not sure if the
latest version does also understand MFOLD output.

Both programs are available via ftp on fly.bio.indiana.edu.

--Cornelius.
--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Department of Physiological Chemistry, U Tuebingen    */
/* email: krasel at studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de                             */