notes on a sequence analysis project (READ THIS.)

Jeremy John Ahouse ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
Thu Jun 24 08:35:37 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun24.062409.26592 at comp.bioz.unibas.ch>,
doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) wrote:

> I must admit that the article posted by Jeremy John Ahouse is delightful
> to read. However, the author is enitely wrong with respect to the costs.
>
> It should be strongly emphasized that this article is representative for
> today's misunderstanding of the biocomputing environment.
>
> NOTHING IS FREE.
>
> THE FACT THAT IT IS FREE OF COST FOR YOU
>
>                                          MEANS THAT SOMEONE ELSE PAYS.

Reinhard,
	  You have an important point.  However given the audience I think it is
appropriate to list the costs for _obtaining_ the software.  Do you really
want to factor in infrastructure costs.  I agree it would be a worthy goal.
 But then do I have to include the costs for the US gulf war to keep
unrealistically low oil prices, that makes the driving of the trucks that
carry the wires that build the net, that...  I am of course overstating the
case.

	  Yes we are all part of a big experiment, that may soon go the way of
phone service where every moment on line is charged to local accounts.  And
when that happens we won't afford the bandwidth to chat... like this... :-)

	- Jeremy

        Jeremy John Ahouse
        Center for Complex Systems and Biology Dept
        Brandeis University
        Waltham, MA 02254-9110
        (617) 736-4954
        email: ahouse at hydra.rose.brandeis.edu
        Mail from Mac by Eudora 1.3.1 - RIPEM accepted