PC framegrabber for documenting ethidium gels

Chris Porter cporter at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 10:09:21 EST 1993

Does anybody have experience of using a cheap PC video frame-grabbing board
for the documentation of ethidium bromide-stained gels? We're trying to find
a cheap alternative to the commercial solutions. The sort of thing we're
looking at is the Media-Pro Plus board connected to a video camera, image
processing software and a good quality laser printer (HP 4M or Apple Pro 630).
Please let me know of any experience you have with this sort of solution,
suggestions for good (cheap) frame grabbers, video cameras and software. Is
the quality of the media-pro plus suitable for this sort of application?
This is mainly for documentation. We still expect to use Polaroids for
publication etc.

[If anybody can suggest a Mac based alternative, I'd love to hear about it, but
I think that in this case, the PC wins by having  cheap frame grabbing boards
available.]

Thanks,

Chris Porter
Genetics Laboratory