Help in selecting a workstation

Mon Mar 15 22:59:26 EST 1993

Previously :

> >>Although they don't make their own hardware any more, I'd still recommend
> >>looking at NeXT...
> >Are you out of your mind?  The hardware side of the company is already gone
> >and the software side is uncertain at best.  You're just asking to get
> >burned if you buy in now.
>  ...  and it isn't really a number cruncher.  I would hazard an
>  educated guess that the NeXT platform will survive in the business
>  world, but I don't see it in the scince labs ...

My bias : I own one, and it's great.
One reason NeXTs _could_ survive in science is the close ties
between many scientific researchers and programming. We often
make our own programs. The NeXT OS, NeXTStep, is considered to
a superb development environment. Compared to others : easier,
truly object-oriented, free. Even non-programmers like me can
make programs! As to number-crunching, NeXTStep will be
appearing on some powerful machines, probably this year.

    Brian Osborne		  Plant Gene Expression Center
    bosborne at  Albany CA USA