Software & databases for DNA sequence analysis

Helmut Dotzlaw dotzlaw at
Thu Mar 25 13:33:11 EST 1993

In article <1o5444INNssu at>, jon at (Jon
Mellott) wrote:
> What's available in terms of freely available and commercial sequence
> analysis software? Also, how does one go about acquiring the GenBank
> database? Is there a FAQ on this subject?
> Thanks,
> Jon Mellott
> (jon at

We are using MacVector DNA analyses software for the mac.  I like it, does
sequence alignments, restriction enzyme site searches, ORF analyses, etc. -
pretty well anything you would want to do with a sequence, even search
Genbank on cd rom.  Genbank/cd rom is available through the NIH, I am told
- we don't use MacVector for Genbank, we search NIH directly via TCP (it's
a free service, for now).  The problem with MacVector is that it's
expensive - I don't know what the current pricing is but when we purchased
it, it was something like $2,000.

I would suggest that you poke around in IUBio Indiana or EMBL heidelberg,
both sites offer a lot of freely available software.  Both are accesable
via gopher.

If you need anymore help, feel free to e-mail me.

             Helmut Dotzlaw
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
         University of Manitoba
            Winnipeg, Canada
        dotzlaw at