Don't be too high-tech!

reisner at angis.su.oz.au reisner at angis.su.oz.au
Sat May 8 16:34:42 EST 1993

	With regard to the specific matter of access to Entrez via GUI or
non-GUI interfaces it needn't be a matter of one precluding the other.  ANGIS
provides both.  Currently of the 1000 or so users of ANGIS in Australia about
20% have access to terminals, workstations, or personal computers that
utilize the X Window System, to exclude the remaining 80% from on-line access
to Entrez I believe would be inappropriate for a national service.  Similarly
not to provide the GUI version to those able to make use of it would be
derelict.

	Within the next 18-24 months we expect that the per-centage of users
able to utilize the X Window System will rise to 75% or more.  An increasing
number of databases and applications make use of the X Window System, I
believe it is incumbent on ANGIS to provide for that;  so for example we
make ADeDB and other genomic databases based on ACeDB available on ANGIS and
where there are applications utilizing the X Window System they are made
available; where there are parallel X and non-X versions available, both are
made available.

	Finally, there are clear indications that the increased bandwidth
required to have X applications run smoothly over a national network will be
available in Australia and will keep pace.

Alex Reisner

ANGIS (Aust. Nat. Genomic Information Service)