Don't be too high-tech!!! Re: VAX/VMS & NCBI's _Entrez_: text interface desired

Bill Pearson wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU
Mon May 10 13:46:50 EST 1993

In article <930510091035.216030a9 at BOBCAT.CSC.WSU.EDU> THOMPSON at WSUVMS1.CSC.WSU.EDU ("Steve Thompson: VADMS genetics") writes:
>RIGHT ON! Reinhard!!!
>
>In article <9305080911.AA04762 at net.bio.net> doelz at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
>(Reinhard Doelz) answers to <C6ons3.4G7 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
>wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU (Bill Pearson) whom responds to my posting ID#
><930507104042.214062a7 at JAGUAR.CSC.WSU.EDU> when I write:
>
> Regardless of what Bill may think, not all people who need and
>desire to use seqence analysis and/or molecular modelling techniques
>have access to the appropriate computing environment to take
>advantage of an X type GUI.  Even many of those with an ethernetted
>personal computer have not made the investment in time and money to
>install X-window server software, nor do they often want to.

	Hey guys, read what I wrote.  I don't think you should need a
Sun to run molecular biology software.  I don't think every one should
be running X-windows on their PC.  (Entrez is much easier to install
for Windows or MacOS than X.)  I do think that many many more people
are running Windows (or Mac's) than have VT100's.  After all, most of
those "terminal based" applications are running on terminal emulators
on a PC or Mac.  So if you already have a PC or Mac, why not take
advantage of the better interface?  Networking is the common problem.
But terminal-based interfaces are not the only answer; cheaper
networking - perhaps via SLIP and a $250 high-speed modem - may
provide an alternative that is much easier to learn and use.

Bill Pearson