apologies for unknowingly rekindling old flame war!

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Tue May 11 00:27:59 EST 1993

In <930510154908.2140a024 at JAGUAR.CSC.WSU.EDU> THOMPSON at JAGUAR.CSC.WSU.EDU ("Steve Thompson: VADMS genetics") writes:

>However, the big problem, as Bill points out above, is
>networking!  Should every individual who wants to run Entrez be forced
>to buy a CD reader?

	No! It is quite simple to give lots of people access to a
	CD reader.

	Here is my solution. I have a CD reader hooked up to my Indigo.
	and the CDROM is mounted on the hard disk of that machine.
	The Entrez programme I have on our SGI mainframe, and the directory
	on my Indigo is NFS mounted so the mainframe has access to it.

	So anyone with a userID on the mainframe has access to the
	CD player and the Entrez database that is sitting on my desk.
	While I am working away at something else, now and then the lights
	on the CDROM are flickering, and I know that someone on the
	mainframe is using Entrez. Now that is sharing resources.

	Rob "togetherness... there is goodness in it" Harper
 Rob Harper                        E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
 Center for Scientific Computing   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
 Tietotie 6, P.O. Box 405          Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
 SF-02101 Espoo Finland            Fax:             +358 0 457 2302