Don't be too high-tech!!! Re: VAX/VMS & NCBI's _Entrez_: text interface desired

Dave Leonard Baillie baillie at beaufort.sfu.ca
Mon May 10 23:50:49 EST 1993

I would like to add my two bits, I have been running x-win based applications
in the lab for the last two years, Staden package, aCedb, GDE etc.  I have
found that they work well on PC based machines running the (FREE) Linux
OS.  I use Linux based machines as X servers and as hosts and we have one
old Sparc that handle the mail.
	I have noticed much to my suprise that X applications behave quite
well even over low speed serial lines (9600 or 14,400 baud).  This of
course depends on the application being well executed, the ones I have
been using run fine.  I have often used them from home, again with a Linux
X-server.  Linux will run fine on anything faster than a 25 mhz 386, but
does require >8 mb of ram (but that is very cheap now).  It will out perform
a Sparc 2 on a 66 mhz 486 and even gives a Sparc 10 a run for it's money.
This type of system can be had for 1500 to 2500 dollars (Canadian).  I
think this type of system could rapidly become a new academic standard
(read cheap standard).  Most universities have hoards of undergrads playing
with Linux and they can frequently be harnessed to help with the initial
setup.  Some thoughts from the frozen north.

dave baillie

Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby
British Columbia,  Canada