So how do you make the SUN know you are running X-windows?

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue May 11 17:37:49 EST 1993

dlowry at ch.unige.cmu wrote:
: In regard to the flame-war about Entrez etc.  I've got a purely
: [...]
: LINUX but we haven't got the resources to do it - ie. I would have
: to spend all my time nursing Linux on about 20 machines and I am
: supposed to be doing other things!] Is there anything compatible
: with both PC/TCP and Novell (we have both, this is a nightmare for
: memory on our PC's)?

Are you sure it is Linux that needs nursing?

It seems to me that many of us are nursing ageing and inadequate real
mode DOS TCP/IP software with unstable protected mode interfaces to MS
Windows X-servers on PC's that compare in performance to a low end Unix
workstation.

Why not run your X-clients locally on the PC under Linux instead?

I'm running OpenLook (olwm) under Linux SLS 1.01 from tsx-11.mit.edu on
a 386DX/40 with an ET4000 video card and I can tell you it is a lot
better than PCNFS + Exceed/W over an ethernet connection to a Sun and
you don't need to worry about real mode memory constraints :-)

Remember:  apart from the kernel, most of the Linux SLS distribution
consists of precisely the same Gnu software from the FSF that we know
and love on our Sun's etc.

If you've not tried it already, I recommend a look at Linux SLS 1.01

	Tony.