VAX/VMS & NCBI's _Entrez_

smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Tue May 11 07:22:55 EST 1993

We have worked very hard to get everyone networked and to have a Mac (or PC
if they have to) on a desk in every lab.  But the realities are that Entrez
penetration has been much less that we had expected and less than is really
desirable.  Despite the relative ease of file transfers Mac/UNIX/VAX people
tend to use just one machine for each class of activity. The fact that MacX
is hard to use and eXodus (our favorite X-server) is expensive means that
people just don't use Entrez on the VAX where they do most of their work. My
conclusion is that a command-line interface version version would fill a real
need and considerably increase the use of Entrez.