So how do you make the SUN know you are running X-windows?

Keith Robison robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu
Wed May 12 07:42:06 EST 1993

dlowry at cmu.unige.ch	 writes:

>And for my real and BASIC question/comment - if you are RUNNING
>X-windows on a SUN, and the sequence analysis software, whatever,
>is on ANOTHER SUN, how do you tell the second SUN that you are
>running X windows?

This is the sort of question I am constantly asking.

0) Sit at your machine :-)
1) Telnet or rlogin to the 2nd machine (either will do)
2) SETENV DISPLAY ipaddress:0
   where ipaddress is the ipnumber or name for your node
  (such as biosun.harvard.edu)

Sit back and enjoy!!

I usually have aliases for all the machines I frequently use as
displays which do the SETENV DISPLAY step
(alias dmito "SETENV DISPLAY mito.harvard.edu:0" will make "dmito"
a command to activate "mito.harvard.edu" as my display server).

Hope it helps!

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI