PC NewsReader?

Ashok Aiyar ashok at biochemistry.cwru.edu
Fri May 14 00:09:14 EST 1993

In article <nash.127.0 at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca> nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca (John Nash) writes:

>In article <1sugru$s2u at umd5.umd.edu> stern at mbimail.umd.edu writes:

>>Are you reading this on an IBM compatible?  Can you tell me the names of
>>any PC newsreaders that might be out there, FTPable preferred.  Thanks.

>Yes, I am.  I'm using the Trumpet PC-Newsreader (fair dinkum Aussie product!
>by Peter Tattam), ftpable from heaps of sites, but none off the top of my
>head, except for Simtel and its mirrors oak.oakland.edu and wuarchive.wustl.
>edu, and its home, a "???.utas.edu.au site"  (Try Archie).  Works off
>Clarkson/Cynwyr packet drivers, with static IP addresses or RARP/bootp.  We
>also run a version off our LAN server.  It has subject-selection, reads from
>an nntp host, replies via smtp host, is mouse-able, you can jump from
>newsgroup to newsgroup by mouse, and it has that PC-Gopher/PC-WAIS feel (
>TurboVision- or Turbo Pascal-made ???).  Dr. Tattam also has versions for
>other TCP applications, incl. his own Trumpet stack, and there's a Windows
>version rumoured in beta.

You can also retrieve Trumpet via Gopher from my gopher --
"biochemistry.cwru.edu".

Yes, there is a Windows version of Trumpet (in very very late beta).  I am
using it right now.  Windows Trumpet comes in several version .....

- for the Trumpet TSR TCP stack
- direct to packet driver
- for Novell LanWorkplace
- Winsock 1.1 compatible version

A newer DOS version of Trumpet (1.06) is also in late-beta.

Additionally, Peter Tattam has also recently written excellent SLIP packet
drivers (for regular and compressed SLIP).

For more information about Peter's programs, particularly WinTrumpet, feel
free to write me.

Ashok

Ashok Aiyar                        Mail: ashok at biochemistry.cwru.edu
Department of Biochemistry                       Tel: (216) 368-3300
CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio         Fax: (216) 368-4544