So how do you make the SUN know you are running X-windows?

Cornelius Krasel zxmkr08 at
Fri May 14 14:39:25 EST 1993

In <robison1.737210526 at> robison1 at (Keith Robison) writes:

>dlowry at	 writes:

>>And for my real and BASIC question/comment - if you are RUNNING
>>X-windows on a SUN, and the sequence analysis software, whatever,
>>is on ANOTHER SUN, how do you tell the second SUN that you are
>>running X windows?

>This is the sort of question I am constantly asking.

>0) Sit at your machine :-)
>0.5) xhost ipaddress   (pasted from another posting of KR)
>1) Telnet or rlogin to the 2nd machine (either will do)
>2) SETENV DISPLAY ipaddress:0
>   where ipaddress is the ipnumber or name for your node
>  (such as

Just to be picky: the command SETENV does only work for the csh and tcsh.
If your terminal complains about the SETENV command, try something like
SET DISPLAY=ipaddress:0 instead.

/* Cornelius Krasel, Department of Physiological Chemistry, U Tuebingen    */
/* email: krasel at                             */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (R. Dawkins / anonymous)     */