Molbio & Linux

LAZO,GERARD glazo at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Thu May 27 09:16:00 EST 1993

I've started to use Linux and am impressed with its multitasking
capabilities.  The X-windows works really well.  Almost anything
available with C source code may be set-up to run within Linux.
I'd recommend using the Linux version with the most recent C compiler
and associated libraries.  I was using Linux 0.99pl4, but had
problems upgrading to the more advances patch levels.  I ended up
just re-downloading Linux 0.99pl8 (I haven't checked lately, but
I think Linux is at patch level 10). Currently I'm trying to set up a
486 system using:

 Genetic Design Environment - can be linked to several molecular
        biology programs
 ACeDB (to run AAtDB)
 MapMaker
 Phylip
 Primer

Gerard R. Lazo               /\     //====== glazo at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Plant Biology Division      // \   //            LAB: 405-221-7305
The S.R. Noble Foundation, Inc. \ //======           FAX: 405-221-7380
Ardmore, Oklahoma 73402   //     \/                      MSG: 405-223-5810