SeqApp in pre-release for the hardy testers

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Thu May 27 16:43:21 EST 1993

SeqApp is a Macintosh biosequence editor, analyzer, and network
handyman.  A new alpha release is available for a few hardy
testers who like to track down software bugs.

This release of SeqApp is meant only for those who have used
the prior version, and who are willing to test this version
with the understanding it will probably fail in various new
ways.  There will be a more general release sometime in June.

SeqApp, version 1.9, is under development.  I plan to have
a version ready for general distribution before version 1.8
expires in mid June.  However, there are still plenty of bugs
in this new version and the time I have to find them is limited.

For those of you who might like to help debug this new release,
I am making available a very temporary version 1.9a108 of SeqApp.
It will expire in mid July, so I do not recommend this new
version for re-distribution, nor for general use.  But if
a few of you who have used the previous version of SeqApp,
and have some facility with it, would like to test this
new version out, and report to me various bugs you find
in it, this will help me get out a better version before
mid June.

New features
  -- lock/unlock alignment gaps.
  -- color amino (and nucleic) acids of your choice.

You can obtain updates of this release thru anonymous ftp to
ftp.bio.indiana.edu, in folder /molbio/seqapp, as seqapp-prerelease.hqx.
You may also obtain updates directly thru an internet-connected
Mac with SeqApp, using Gopher to the IUBio archive.  Look for a
folder called "IUBio Software+Data/SeqApp, Mac sequence editor".

Comments, bug reports and suggestions for new features (see
below) may be addressed via e-mail to

   SeqApp at Bio.Indiana.Edu
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu