Reference management software

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at
Wed Nov 17 23:57:00 EST 1993

In Article <1993Nov17.164609.6378 at> "phi at (Dr. Barry Phipps)" says:
> I would like to buy a software package for management of literature
> references, to be used by a small group of people.  I would appreciate knowing
> what other peoples' experiences are with the different packages available, eg.
> Reference Manager, Pro Cite, EndNote, etc..
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Barry Phipps
Hi Barry
	I bought Pro Cite and have been VERY unhappy with it.  Most of the
functions did not work as specified (eg, importing refs from BRS with the
BRS link, or printing to an HP laser printer).  The tech staff was NOT
helpful.  I eventually disected the code and figured out how to get it to
print properly on my HPIII laser printer, and they asked me for the info
so they could pass it on to other users.  (problem was only visible on
multiple page print-outs, so they never found it before).
	I recently started using Papyrus, and I like it a lot.  I have
started building a database, and it picks up refs from CCOD very nicely.
I printed out a bibliog for a poster, and it worked great.  Am starting to
play with the link to my word processor to write documents, and it seems to
be pretty good so far.  It actually does what you expect, and is very user
friendly.  It is also much cheaper.  Good Luck
	Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
	Dept. of Crop and Soil Science
	Michigan State University
	East Lansing, MI  48824