Dos DNA/Protein analysis packages

Peter Rice rice at embl-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 8 03:21:53 EST 1993

In article <9310071738.AA19754 at audrey.lmf.org>, jim at AUDREY.LMF.ORG (Jim Gale) writes:

> We need some advice. Our access to (free) GCG is lost. The institute we used
> GCG on by modem is dropping GCG due to the cost. Since we cannot afford GCG.
> We need some other similar package for our PC systems (MS-DOS). I am fimilar
> Hitachi DNASIS/PROSIS and Inteligenetics PC-Gene. We will be having demos
> of both shortly.
> Does anyone out there use either package for MS-DOS?
> What is yor opinion of the system. Does it compare to GCG?
> Is there another package we should be looking at????

I would certainly look at DNASTAR (also called LaserGene on Macintoshes). It
supports DOS, and includes similar functions to GCG for most analysis so
it should be familiar to your users.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
                                              |       European Molecular
 Internet:    Peter.Rice at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
                                              |       Postfach 10-2209
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       69012 Heidelberg
 Fax:     +49-6221-387306                     |       Germany