Sharing lab "tools".

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:34:03 EST 1993

Anyone with biology-related spreadsheet forms, computer methods,
software, etc. that you think will be of interest to a general
audience of biologists should feel free to ftp them to IUBIO archive
where they will become published and available to all (soon you can
gopher them to iubio -- see the Gopher+TEST/Incoming.../ folder).

The only thing special I ask in terms of your preparation, is that you
include a short, plain text abstract file along with whatever main file
you send.  See the "Archive.doc" at ftp.bio.indiana.edu for details.

Posting to bionet.software.sources is an alternate way to
publish such tools, and there are other archives (embl, houston)
which take author submissions.  All postings to bionet.software.
sources and other bionet. news are also archived at IUBio and at
net.bio.net, so this isn't a less resource intensive, nor lower
standard, form of publiation.  However, it is best limited to the
smaller works which can reasonably fit into a e-mail sized message.

In my estimation, it is lack of time that keeps authors from publishing
their lab software tools, or the thought that no one else would be
interested.  I know of works done locally that fall in this category
-- hypercard stacks or database forms that could be usefully shared
with the community.  Even if they are designed for a specific local
problem, others can often benefit in solving related tasks by
seeing tools you may have written for local uses.

-- don

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu