references on bio DB integration

Christoph Gartmann GARTMANN at IMMUNBIO.MPG.DE
Tue Oct 26 17:05:43 EST 1993

In <COVERTON.93Oct26134042 at sibelius.humgen.upenn.edu> Chris Overton writes:

> I'm looking for references to work describing the integration of multiple
> biological databases (well >= 2 at least).  I'm interested in examples where a
> federated schema was developed that supports multi-database queries.  I'm
> especially interested in examples of distributed database systems with a
> federated schema.  However, I'll take any and all references to systems that
> support multi-database queries.  Examples of types of systems:
>
> 1 -- Uniform interface to multiple databases.

Have a look at SRS (Sequence Retrieval System) from Thure Etzold at EMBL.
See
    Etzold,T.; Argos,P. (1993): SRS - an indexing and retrieval tool for
    flat file data libraries. CABIOS 9(1), 49-57.
and
    Etzold,T.; Argos,P. (1993): Transforming a set of biological flat file
    libraries to a fast access network. CABIOS 9(1), 59-64.

The software itself may be obtained from the EMBL fileserver or via anonymous
FTP from biomed.uio.no . There is a VMS and a UNIX version.

Regards
  Christoph Gartmann

| Christoph Gartmann            Phone   : +49-761-5108-465   Fax: -221       |
| Max-Planck-Institut fuer      PSI     : PSI%(0262)45050160374::GARTMANN    |
| Immunbiologie                 Internet: gartmann at immunbio.mpg.de           |
| Postach 1169                                                               |
| D-79011  Freiburg, FRG                                                     |
+------------- Do you know MENUE, the user environment for VMS? -------------+