unarchiving pc files

Andrew Hobbs andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 03:34:02 EST 1993

Sarah Tilley (sjt at newt.phys.unsw.edu.au) wrote:

: --
: Hi,

: I have just obtained some public domain files for my pc by ftp. They

Hi,
Biggest problem is usually downloading executable files as ascii files.
Before downloading the executable files did you give the command
"binary".

Andrew Hobbs
andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au

:are of the format *.exe, and they are meant to automatically unarchive
themselves to give me the programs I have downloaded. However whenever
I type the filename all I get is a screen and keyboard freeze-up.
Should I be unarchiving them on my unix machine? How do I get at these
files? I am even having problems unarchiving pkunzip! Help! I have a
directory full of software I want to use but can't get at. : Thanks in
advance,

: **
: Sarah Tilley
: sjt at newt.phys.unsw.edu.au