Best Nucleotide Sequence Editor for Mac?

Harry Mangalam mangalam at
Wed Oct 27 15:52:19 EST 1993

In article <9310251805.AA10757 at>,
kinneya at wrote:
> >I'm looking for Macintosh-based software to help us edit ABI-format
> >sequence files.  I would like something like the unix-based TED, which
> >prints the ABI-called sequence beneath the DNA migration absorption
> >curves and allows you to make adjustments.
> The "EDITSEQ" sequence editor software for the Mac from DNAStar (which is
> also part of their Lasergene package) will do this.
> Their phone number is (608)258-7420

   So will Sequencher, from Gene Codes (and is very expensive if all you're
looking for is an editor), but is a complete, powerful, and very easy to
use fragment assembly program.  Their phone number is: 313 769 7249; ~$1200
w/ hardware lock, site/multiple copy discounts.
   IMHO, Sequencher is the much better of the two for editing and fragment
assembly, but it is not a 'full-featured' Sequence analysis pkg ie no
protein analysis, not a lot of DNA analysis, which Lasergene does offer.

Std Disclaimers..

Harry Mangalam, VCO/Micro+Mol Genetics, Irvine Hall, Coll of Med, UC
Irvine, CA, 92717, Vox:(714) 856-4824, Fax:(714) 725-2118, mangalam at

There's no better glory, when it all gets harried, to be laughing in the
midst of it all.   --- Doug and the Slugs ---