unarchiving pc files

Peter Stockwell peter at SANGER.OTAGO.AC.NZ
Sun Oct 31 15:42:07 EST 1993

Sarah Tilley (sjt at newt.phys.unsw.edu.au) wrote:

> --
> Hi,

> I have just obtained some public domain files for my pc by ftp. They are of th
e format *.exe, and they are meant to automatically unarchive themselves to give
 me the programs I have downloaded. However whenever I type the filename all I g
et is a screen and keyboard freeze-up. Should I be unarchiving them on my unix m
achine? How do I get at these files? I am even having problems unarchiving pkunz
ip! Help! I have a directory full of software I want to use but can't get at.
> Thanks in advance,

> **
> Sarah Tilley
> sjt at newt.phys.unsw.edu.au

Also make sure you obtained those files from a directory of files
for PC.
Another hint: try decompression on another PC (although very unlikely,
but it CAN be a problem with your configuration).

Wagner Fotnes
Brazilian Center of Protein Sequencing
University of Brasilia - Brazil