looking for molecular view program for PC

Dan Jacobson danj at welchdev.welch.jhu.edu
Wed Sep 1 14:09:35 EST 1993

In article <25vse6$7s7 at cmcl2.NYU.EDU> dimitrov at lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:

>[]
>I am looking for recommendations for a program that lets you view
>molecules in 3-D. I'd prefer one that is public domain, and
>would really like one that comes with source code. I'd also
>prefer one that runs on a PC under DOS or Windows, but if there's
>a very good one that runs under some other environment I would
>also like to hear about that. Thanks in advance,

Point your gopher client at merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select:

 -->  3.  FTP Sites, Software and Data Archives For Biology/

in this directory you'll find (among other things):

-->  2.  3D Protein Display and Sequence Analysis for the PC (UIUC)/
-->  10.  CCP4 - Programs for Protein Crystallography (U.K.)/
-->  30. Kinemages, Mage, Pkin -3D Protein Display for the Mac and PC (UIC)/
-->  34. Lots of Molecular Graphics, Dynamics and Chemistry (Brazil)/
-->  39. MULTI, molecular modelling (NIEHS-NIH)/
-->  43. MolViewer - Molecule viewing program for NeXT (Rice)/
-->  52. PDBview - View 3D protein Structures (Columbia Un.)/
-->  55. ProMod - 3D modeling software (Geneva)/
-->  59. RasMol - Molecular Graphics Visualisation tool - Unix and PC (UK)/
-->  60. RasMol - tkrasmol.tar.Z - Extended interface (Berkely) <Bin>
-->  67. XMol - display and analysis of molecular model data (MSC)/

Numbers 2, 30, and 59 are your best bet for PCs.

If someone would like to know more about gopher write me a note and I'll
send you some information to help get you started.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu