A.L.F. - DNA Sequencer

Paulo Magalhaes pamaga at biobase.aau.dk
Thu Sep 2 05:20:57 EST 1993

Hi!

This is not really a 'software' question, but I found no other group
which would be appropriate... So, bear with me a while.

We have recently acquired an 'ALF'. The software controlling the machine,
as well as the data analysis program, runs under OS/2. All the PCs in the lab
run DOS only or DOS/Windows - all except the one running ALF, of course.
All the computers are stand alone machines; i.e., our 'masters' still haven't
heard of things called LANs...

Anyway, on to the main point. As the workload on poor ALF keeps increasing,
we now need another PC which can lend a hand in the ALF-generated data
analysis. The idea was to acquire an EISA machine to act as a server, running
OS/2, where all the data files could be kept. This way both the present PC
running ALF and this new one could be used to control/manage data from the
sequencer.

Furthemore, the new machine would also become (in the nearby future!) the
server for all the other PCs in the lab - of course we still have to
convince the brass to spend some money on the installation of the network,
but we feel that it's only a question of time...

Now for the really important part :)

What are the flaws in our reasoning?
Has anyone out there done the same - using the ALF/OS2 software, that is?
What kind of problems can we expect to face?
Keeping in mind the other PCs which will be added at a later date, what
do we need to hook up just the 2 running OS2?

Yes, we don't know so much about computers...
...but we're willing to learn!

Your opinions are most welcome.

All the best,

Paulo
* Paulo Magalhaes              | email:  pamaga at biobase.aau.dk       *
* Section of Clinical Genetics | fax:    +45 / 31 39 65 43           *
* Rigshospitalet               | voice:  +45 / 35 45 45 92           *
* Copenhagen                   |                                     *
* Denmark                      | snail-mail: C'mon, this is the 90s! *