MEGA: Mol. Evol. Analysis Program

asdyp at acad2.alaska.edu asdyp at acad2.alaska.edu
Wed Sep 1 21:52:46 EST 1993

In article <9308272052.AA23967 at mailgate.roche.com>, delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com (Bob DeLisio) writes:
> "joe at evolution.u.washington.edu" "Joe Felsenstein" 27-AUG-1993 05:
>  writes:
> .
> <much stuff deleted>
> If anyone knows a way to send encoded binaries by e-mail and have people be
> able to make them self-extract without requiring tutorials from me on
> how to get and use decoding programs, I'd love to hear it (it sounds
> impossible to me).
> <much more stuff deleted>
>
> Archives can be made (and have been for at least ten years!) to be self
> extracting (read: executable or .EXE). All one has to do is type the filename
> at the command line and VIOLA! all files are extracted automatically. Therefore
> anyone who can use DOS can extract an archive!
>
> Bob

Bob, this is clearly not what Joe was asking about.  Will you please wake up
before you spout off with what appears to you to be the most obvious reply?
Clearly, Joe was asking about a way to make UUENCODED archives self-extracting
on the recipient's end.  You are way off on a tangent talking about how PKzip
and other fine compression utilities will make self-extracting archives, but
none of these have any relevance to encoded binaries.

I don't know of any way to automate the decoding of encoded binaries that will
be completely cross-platform compatable.  If all you are ever working with is
Unix boxes with the same shell as yourself you could provide a script for the
recipient to use, providing that they have access to a copy of uudecode on
their end.  Perhaps a more compatable Unix method would be to write something
in awk or perl, and hope that any PC users had gone out and FTPed awk and perl
for DOS already.  This is unacceptable.  What else is left?

Taking a hint from the alt.binaries groups, as well as comp.sys.hp48 you could
write a little startup guide including short BASIC and C source for uudecode,
and then provide in the file a more complete version of uudecode as well as
instructions on how to FTPmail the most recent version.  With this plan you
could then just send anyone who is having problems a copy of this file and ask
them to read it before they ask any more questions.

Me, I'm strongly in favor of dumping large text files full of useful
information onto folks who need help.  *chuckle*

Dave