Biomed Clip Art

IVAN at MNI.lan.mcgill.ca IVAN at MNI.lan.mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 6 13:44:38 EST 1993

> I often have to give presentations on topics related to molecular
> biology, genetics, and more "organismal" level subjects concerning
> human and animal virology.
[edited...]
> I have been looking unsuccessfully for large "clip art" libraries
> that would allow me to import high-quality pictures of, say, DNA
> structure
[edited...]
> I understand there are some "medical" packages on CD-ROM, which
> are not clipart libraries but multimedia medical reference
> libraries. Is anyone familiar with these? Windows compatibility is
> important...
Boy, do I feel for you!  I'm in the same boat with my own lab group
since I have the most computer expertise as well as design taste
(most of the others haven't progressed past the crayon stage).

For anatomy, Micrografx sells an anatomy clipart package which was
drawn by a medical illustrator; T/Maker has a similar package.  In
terms of other images, have you heard of a package called SlideWrite?
I personally do not use it though I have seen the brochure describing
the clipart add-ons available.

As for the medical CD-ROMs, the only non-text version I've seen is a
nephrology tutor called Up To Date and its companion product McPee
(these are Win3.1 packages); images appear to be TIFF but I haven't
been able to extract anything from it - yet.

Unfortunately, there are more clipart packages available for the Mac
than for the PC; what I've done in the past is to export a Mac
clipart image to Adobe Illustrator format or EPS, and then transfer
the package over to my PC (via Ethernet and a Netware server).  Adobe
Illustrator/Win can read them with no problems.

- ivan

Ivan Shaw "The Angel of Death"
Neuroimmunology Unit
Montreal Neurological Institute